Saturday, October 22, 2011

Charlie Shunt has thrown a chisel in the works...

What the....? A chisel? Isn't it a spanner? Read on and it will all make sense!!

Exactly 1 month ago, on 26th September, I had a Lumbar-Peritoneal Shunt (charlie)inserted to lower the High Cerebral spinal fluid pressures in my head and to save my sight from deteriorating any further - Damn this IIH (Increased Intracranial Hypertension)
After 7 weeks in hospital, 9 lumbar punctures, shunt surgery and loads of physiotherapy i finally left the hospital feeling pretty damn good!

It worked!!! My headaches eased. My vision returned fully, although the right eye is still having trouble focusing. It's been a 4+ year journey to reach this point, where i can finally see an end in sight; where i can make plans and move forward; where daily chronic pain no longer rules my life; where i can anticipate returning to work!

There is, however,one more bridge to cross. Last week i began to experience some abdominal discomfit and terrible leg and back pain. A visit to the Dr, CT scans and ultrasounds revealed the shunt had migrated further into my spinal canal and was irritating nerves, and the other end had jumped ship too and popped out of the peritoneal sac and was draining the CSF subcutaneously. Hence why i looked 9 months pregnant with triplets!!

So tomorrow i embark on yet another hospital visit and undergo surgery to resite the shunt. Hopefully this time it is secured a little better.
The biggest bummer about all this is that I am supposed to be going to see Cold Chisel on Wednesday in Mackay!! DAMN IT!!!

3 comments:

  1. oups, sorry, my whole text just "got away" so in case it was not actully sent, i am rewriting it
    hi, I am anne, from france
    the internet is not that big of a world when you think about it ...
    i got your blog address via twitter - just started and so much to learn about it ! - and i was wondering if you would let me read your blog
    reading is one of the good ways i have to improve my english, and reading a blog is so much "different"
    also, can you please let me know if that's ok because without your agreement I won't read
    i just read the last post and i hope you are feeling better
    well, there is not that much space to write so that'll be it for now
    anne , from the other side of the planet !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anne! Welcome!! Of course you can read my blog!! Sorry it took me so long to reply but as you can see i haven't posted in ages.... oops!!

      Delete
  2. Hey Anne! Welcome!! Of course you can read my blog!! Sorry it took me so long to reply but as you can see i haven't posted in ages.... oops!!

    ReplyDelete